Question: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, how much funding will be allocated to the Northern Powerhouse policy programme.
Answer: James Wharton, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State (Department for Communities and Local Government) (Northern Powerhouse)
Rebalancing the economy by creating a Northern Powerhouse is part of the Government’s long-term economic plan to raise the growth rate of the North, which could add an extra £44 billion to the Northern economy in real terms by 2030. Commitments so far include:
- £30 million to establish Transport for the North as a statutory body to help drive forward smart and integrated ticketing and east-west connectivity;
- £13 billion investment to transport in the north of England, including providing new trains through the new northern rail franchise;
- A further £2.7 billion of investment for new trains on the east coast and investing in major road upgrades;
- Committing over £34 million in science and innovation, including £20 million to Health North to enable better care for patients; and
- £11 million for tech incubators in Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield.